Follow us:  Click to Twitter


Planning Overview

RBKC publishes a list of all the planning and listed building applications on their website every week. TRA will monitor these applications and alert members to those that affect the area.  Information will be posted regarding such planning applications in the “Latest News” section of the website.

TRA will focus its efforts on applications that appear to be not in keeping with a Conservation Area. Proposals for major developments will also be closely scrutinized.

Please bring any concerns about planning to TRA’s attention, and it will investigate.

For further information about planning, please see

How to comment on a planning application:

The most effective way to comment on a planning application is to write an email or a letter to the Council.  The Council actually counts each letter that is received in favour or against an application.

When commenting on a planning application, it is important to do the following:

  1. Provide the planning application reference number.
  2. Note your full name and address.
  3. Send the document to the planning officer in charge of the specific application. His or her name can be found on the planning application. Look at the RBKC Local Plan and relate your objections to specific parts of the strategic plan for the area.
  4. Remember that subjective comments are ignored. Provide objective reasons that relate to Council policy.
  5. Provide evidence in the form of photos, police reports, etc to support your claims.
  6. Submit your comments before the deadline which is found on the application. Keep your letter or email simple and brief. The planning officers are more likely to note a concise document which is easy to understand.

Material Planning Considerations (issues RBKC can consider)

    1. Loss of light
    2. Loss of privacy/increase in overlooking
    3. Design/appearance of a development
    4. Increase in smells (from a proposed restaurant for example)
    5. Noise from equipment that forms part of the development (air conditioning units or extractor flues for example).

Non Material Planning Considerations (issues RBKC cannot consider)

     1. Loss of property value
     2. Disruption and disturbance from building work
     3. Land ownership or issues affecting the party wall (these are dealt with under separate legislation). 


RBKC is responsible for licensing premises under the Licensing Act 2003.  The Act sets out four licensing objectives, which the Council must promote when carrying out its licensing functions.
These are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

TRA will post licensing applications on the Forum that are submitted for premises in our area. The most effective way to comment or object to an application is by writing a letter to the Council at:

Licensing Team Council Office
37 Pembroke Road
London W8 6PW

Alternatively, comments may be noted on the RBKC Licensing website by completing the Submit Representations Form on the licensing application.

It is highly advisable to link your comments directly to the licensing objectives and or the Licensing Act itself. Referring to specific sections of the Act that pertain to your objection increases the likelihood that the Council will consider your letter.  For example, the following passage refers to the Council’s responsibility to protect residents’ rights.

3.8 The Council has a duty under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights to protect the rights of its residents to privacy and family life. The Council also acknowledges the rights of businesses in its area to operate, but this must be balanced against the rights of residents not to be disturbed by unreasonable noise and nuisance caused by licensed premises.

To review the Licensing Act, look at the RBKC website

Temporary Event Notices(TENS)

A Temporary Event License authorises the premises user to conduct one or more licensable activities for no more than 96 hours.

The limitations directly imposed on the use of TENS by the 2003 Act are as follows:

  • The number of times the “premises user” may give a TEN (50 times a year for a personal license holder).
  • The number of times a TEN may be given in respect of any particular premises (12 times in a calendar year), but subject to a maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by TENs at any individual premises (15 Days).
  • The length of time of a temporary event may last (96 hours); and
  • The scale of the event in terms of the maximum number of people attending at any one time (less than 500).

Responsible Authority Contacts

The Local planning authority:

  • The Senior Administrative Officer Licensing, Development Controls, Planning Department, the Town hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX

For concerns regarding reducing or preventing the risk of pollution of the environment or of harm to human health:

  • The Team Manager, Noise and Nuisance Team, Department of Environmental Health, Council Offices 37 Pembroke Road, London W8 6PW

If you wish to make any comments on the RBKC’s Licensing Policy or if you want further information regarding the Licensing Act of 2003 please contact:

Patrick Crowley
Licensing Team Manager
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
37 Pembroke Road
W8 6PW
Telephone: 020 7341 5601
Fax: 020 7341 5645

General Enquiries 0207 341 5152

* Mandatory fields

Thank you for sending us your form.

Thurloe Residents Association will be in touch very soon.

Close this window